Date: September 17, 2019
|POSITION TITLE||Vice President of Procurement|
Other key relationships include the President of the Mountain Division, COOs of the Resort/Lodging/Retail business units, the Chief Accounting Officer and the Finance Senior Leadership Team.
- This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will be one of six members of the CFO’s Senior Leadership Team. The Vice President will lead a team of approximately 25 procurement professionals with four senior level direct reports.
The Vail Resorts Procurement Team is committed to building leaders and driving value. We are creating a world class procurement organization headquartered near Boulder, Colorado supporting a growing company of 37 resorts across the United States, Canada and Australia with 55,000+ employees, $2.5 Billion in revenue, and a market capitalization of over $9 billion. We are transforming our procurement organization to bring best-in-class category management, sourcing, vendor management, and procurement tools to enable data-driven decision making and value creation at Vail Resorts – the ski industry’s global leader.
Our team will be driven by top-tier talent using rigorous analysis, strong business partnership, strategic approaches to sourcing, and a strong ethic of compliance to deliver against the Company’s biggest value opportunities. We are creating a sustainable, high-performing team that will develop talent and prioritize career growth through accelerated opportunities and progression. This is an opportunity to lead the Procurement Team at a critical inflection point and shape how we do business into the future.
The Vice President of Procurement has a unique opportunity to create a vision, strategy and tangible impact on a critical function and strategic priority at Vail Resorts. This opportunity enables a strong, experienced procurement leader to drive transformative change in a fast-paced, feedback-rich culture with simultaneously high expectations and high support. Visibility is at the most senior levels of our company, working directly with the CFO and key operations executives. Come create your experience of a lifetime!
|THE COMPANY||Working at Vail Resorts is about aligning who you are with what you do by integrating your passions with your ambitions and pushing yourself to your fullest potential. We seek people who are willing to explore every part of their work and every part of themselves to find new ways to make a meaningful impact on the business. We look for people who are committed to their own leadership development and driving results as an industry leader. At Vail Resorts, we are doing something very special—because we are doing our life's work.|
Vail Resorts has about 7,000 year-round, full-time employees and adds about 32,000 seasonal and part-time employees annually. Some employees come for one season, and some for a career, and they are all responsible for delivering a seamless guest experience that provides an “Experience of a Lifetime” and drives guest satisfaction and return visitation. Vail Resorts is dedicated to delivering this seamless guest service by continuously investing in its team and training programs and understanding and delivering on the varied and unique employee value propositions, in order to support the employee experience.
Key Business segments:
- Mountain Segment - Vail Resorts’ Mountain segment is the core of the business, focused on building a compelling network of mountain resorts that appeal to a wide range of local and destination guests. The business model is based on a combination of organic growth of season (Epic) pass sales through data-driven marketing and inorganic growth through acquisition and integration of new, complementary resorts. Mountain revenue generation also includes guest services and amenities such as ski and snowboard lessons, equipment rentals and retail merchandise sales, a range of dining venues, private club operations, and other winter and summer recreational activities. The company also leases some of its owned and leased commercial space to third-party operators to add restaurants and retail stores to the mix of amenities at the base of its resorts. The company's mountain resorts include Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Crested Butte and Keystone in Colorado; Park City in Utah; Heavenly, Northstar, and Kirkwood in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada; Okemo and Stowe in Vermont; Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia, Canada; Perisher, Falls Creek and Hotham in Australia; Wilmot Mountain in Wisconsin; Afton Alps in Minnesota, Mt. Brighton in Michigan, Mt. Sunapee in New Hampshire and Stevens Pass in Washington. The company also recently announced the acquisition of seventeen additional ski resorts (pending regulatory approval)
- Lodging Segment - Vail Resorts’ Lodging segment includes owned and managed hotel rooms and condominium units. This segment includes the operations of RockResorts, a hotel management company with a portfolio of five properties in Colorado, including four company-owned hotels and one managed resort property. It also includes five additional company-owned hotels, management of the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort & Spa (Vail Marriott), Mountain Thunder Lodge, Crystal Peak Lodge, Austria Haus Hotel, Grand Summit Hotel, Silverado Lodge, Sundial Lodge, DoubleTree by Hilton Park City-The Yarrow, and condominium management operations, which are in and around the company's mountain resorts in the Colorado, Lake Tahoe, and Utah regions. The company operates two NPS concessionaire properties: GTLC, a summer destination resort with three resort properties in the Grand Teton National Park, and Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch located between Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. It also includes five company-owned mountain resort golf courses in Colorado, one in Wyoming and one in Lake Tahoe, California.
- Retail and Rental Vail Resorts Retail is a $293 million revenue business that is integral to Vail Resorts’ vertically integrated mountain resort model. The Senior Director will develop a comprehensive view of financial results and performance to help drive strategic decision making, growth objectives, strategic planning and capital prioritization.
Additional information can be found at www.vailresorts.com.
|SCOPE & RESPONSIBILITY||
- Procurement Strategy - Executive leader who establishes strategy and roadmap for Vail Resorts Procurement with a focus on driving value through multi-year sourcing strategies, data-driven analysis of savings opportunities, strong compliance orientation and process leadership in P2P. Vail Resorts has complex direct and indirect spend supporting the divisions this role oversees, and optimizing that spend is the critical challenge.
- Transformation – Understands and has experience leading transformation, including process design, sourcing frameworks, change management, and executive and team buy-in.
- Talent leadership – Build and lead a team of talented procurement professionals with strong focus on development, career advancement and accountability for results.
- Strategic Sourcing
- Create and execute multi-year category strategies for direct and indirect spend.
- Develop cost reduction targets and oversee execution of initiatives. Accountability for procurement savings, compliance levels and tracking savings to the P&L and capital;
- Demonstrate extensive professional knowledge of and experience with negotiation to advise the business; direct and secure the best outcome for the company, and direct complex and critical negotiations.
- Drive continuous improvement in all aspects of supplier performance, business adoption, and technology enhancements.
- Procurement Operations
- Manage and develop corporate procurement policies to drive value through compliance.
- Produce compliance reporting and align with operations management and senior leadership on best-in class standards.
- Maintain our centralized purchasing system, COUPA.
- Integrate future acquisitions and maintain consistent standards across all resort locations.
- Drive continuous improvement for the procurement organization by identifying areas to drive further value.
- Data Analytics
- Lead team responsible for maintaining accurate spend data, managing taxonomy and establishing robust spend cube
- Project Management
- Demonstrated project management & process skills to drive long term improvement.
- Getting buy-in and engagement from key stakeholders and strategic leadership team.
- Demonstrated experience as trusted business partner to senior executives and vendors
- High capacity and strong prioritization to focus efforts on primary Procurement opportunities
- Clear communication skills to succinctly distill down key messages and highlight key insights to team, internal partners and external stakeholders
- Ability to successfully work with senior executive leaders
- Financially oriented with ability to tie strategies and initiatives to data driven insights and enterprise value
- High intellect and ambition, with authentic humility
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity
- Excellent listener and open to feedback
- Outstanding organizational and analytical skills
- Focused on people development and ability to balance collaboration with accountability
- Strong leader with outstanding commercial acumen. Must be an influential business owner, bold and courageous, with the ability to constructively challenge and hold others accountable.
- Strong agile learner. Enjoys and excels in environments where he/she must tackle and solve new and increasingly complex strategic business challenges and issues with curiosity.
- A brave, ambitious, and passionate leader who is comfortable in his/her own skin, while also demonstrating a high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Authentic individual with impeccable integrity whose personal and professional values are consistent with Vail Resorts’ mission and vision.
- A skilled communicator and relationship builder who takes a global perspective and is able to connect with all levels and areas of the organization around the world.
- Performance-driven, ambitious, and change-oriented leader who shows ingenuity and fortitude in overcoming obstacles to achieve a bigger impact in a competitive marketplace.
- Strong talent developer who prioritizes the development of individual talent and building a high performing team.
- 15+ years of experience in procurement strategy and operations with demonstrated success in strategy establishment & execution, procurement compliance and controls.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial mindset capable of setting strategic vision and execution.
- Experience leading and transforming all procurements functions including standardization of products and suppliers, category management, consolidation and optimization of supplier relationships including creation of new relationships to increase value.
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mentality and drive/passion for career development and growth.
- Experience working with senior executives, synthesizing information, developing insights to be used in making strategic decisions and communicate effectively in presentation and in-person meetings. Must possess the ability to influence others, including senior executives.
- Experience building and leading highly effective teams and displays strong capabilities for talent assessment, including direct and candid feedback.
- Track record of delivering successful strategies, plans, and programs based on competitive analysis, industry trends, and best practices, emerging technologies, and the company’s vision.
|EDUCATION||Outstanding academic credentials:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- MBA or graduate finance degree preferred, and/or professional procurement certification (such as Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM)
|COMPENSATION & BENEFITS||A competitive compensation package is being offered for this role. Vail resorts has a full suite of benefits available, including an EPIC Pass for the executive and dependents if applicable.|
|RELOCATION||A comprehensive relocation package is offered for the right candidate.|
CLICK HERE FOR JOB SPECIFICATION