|POSITION TITLE:||Director of Human Resources |
|REPORTING TO:||Senior Director of Human Resources (The top HR Role at Spirit)|
|THE COMPANY:||Spirit AeroSystems, with headquarters in Wichita, Kansas, USA, is one of the world’s largest non-OEM designers and manufacturers of aerostructures for commercial and defense aircraft. In addition to its Wichita facilities, Spirit has locations in Tulsa and McAlester, Oklahoma; Kinston, North Carolina; Biddeford, Maine; Dallas, Texas; Prestwick, Scotland; Belfast, Northern Ireland; Subang, Malaysia; Casablanca, Morocco; and Saint-Nazaire, France. The company’s core products include fuselages, pylons, nacelles and wing components. Additionally, Spirit provides maintenance, repair and overhaul services.|
As one of the world’s largest tier-one manufacturers and suppliers of aerostructures, Spirit AeroSystems applies research and emerging technologies in designing, fabricating, assembling and integrating components and structures for premier commercial and defense aerospace programs. Spirit AeroSystems is a $4 billion global company, with more than 12,000 employees worldwide.
|LOCATION:||Wichita, Kansas. Located in the heart of the Midwest along the banks of the Arkansas River, Wichita has grown from an 1860s trading post into a bustling metropolitan area. While its cowboy roots are still celebrated, Wichita has since embraced higher education, world-class health care, the performing arts, and technological innovation. Many companies, including Spirit AeroSystems, have led the city to be called "Air Capital of the World."|
Wichita is a charming blend of the best of suburban, metropolitan and rural living. It boasts a wide array of diverse activities and a population equally broad in background and lifestyle. It has been ranked multiple times as a “best value destination” due to its stable and affordable housing. That combined with strong school systems make it a great location for families. Healthcare, education, and sunshine are key attractions, and it has a charming Old Town District with excellent dining options. The Commerce Street Art District is ideal for those who seek some culture.
|SCOPE & RESPONSIBILITIES:||Reporting to the head of Human Resources for Spirit AeroSystems, this role is responsible for a team of 25-30 HR professionals, including HR Business Partners, HR Generalists, and Labor Relations Specialists across five U.S. sites. The 10,000 covered employees are over 90% union represented by both professional and trade unions. This role will lead the labor negotiations on behalf of Spirit AeroSystems and will direct the team primarily responsible for labor contract administration. The role will proactively interact with and advise Leadership and HR Business Partners on a broad range of Human Resources and labor relations matters, including labor contract administration, dispute resolution, workforce planning, talent management, leadership development and general methods of positive employee relations. This role proactively designs, delivers and drives HR best practices in support of the company’s business strategy. |
contributes to the development and improvement of efficient Company-wide standardized practices and processes.
- Serves as a key member on the HR Leadership Team and provides critical thought leadership.
- Responsible for working with the head of HR to build a world-class team for U.S. HR delivery, including selection, development, and performance management.
- Builds strategy and executes around business objectives
- Builds positive and constructive relationships with union leaders and members, management, and key HR professionals.
- Oversees Labor Relations in preparation and negotiates labor agreements at the time of expiration in accordance with line of business and corporate mandates.
- Prepares for and assists the Executive Leadership Team across wide array of HR and business-related issues, including potential labor disputes, strikes, work stoppages and other concerted activity. This includes advising on appropriate courses of action involving satisfactory resolution of disputes, security issues, employee concerns and media/public relations considerations.
- Champion of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Creates and executes the people strategy
- Workforce planning
- Talent management
- Organization development and effectiveness
- Interacts and partners with Spirit’s Executive Leadership Team regularly.
- Supports the Executive Leadership Team and line management to foster constructive and productive culture, work environment, and relationships among all Spirit employees in alignment with the company’s mission, vision and values.
- Creates opportunities to drive value in the business and
- Collaborates to ensure legal compliance by reviewing federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and disseminating, explaining, and consulting regarding those requirements.
- Addresses performance issues within the team to drive top team performance. Expects continual growth of knowledge and experience within the team.
- Collaborates with other departments including Operations, Finance, Security, Corporate Communications, Legal and Compliance, and other HR organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- An HR leadership athlete with 10 to 20 years of broad HR experience with strategic and operational experience across multiple functions of HR. The role will require heavy labor relations or similar experience in a multi-site, multi-contract, multi-union setting, ideally in a manufacturing environment such as aerospace or automotive environments.
- Experience in labor contract administration, arbitration, mediation and contract negotiations.
- Working knowledge and interpretation of the National Labor Relations Act and the Weingarten Act.
- Experience working in a complex, matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities between multiple business units in a fast-paced culture.
- Effective application of employment principles, practices and applicable regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership and success in planning, leading and driving change in a large organization.
- Demonstrated business savvy to effectively communicate and work with other executives and leaders in support of achieving business goals.
- Proven ability to meet business objectives by developing, monitoring, measuring and improving key HR metrics.
- Track record of consistently providing high quality and on-time delivery and improving organizational effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to lead from the front as well as present at the senior executive level on a regular basis
- Must embody, embrace, and live Spirit’s key values of:
- High degree of honesty and integrity.
- Perform well under pressure and respond constructively to difficult situations in a timely manner.
- Strong communication and mediation skills, leveraging influence appropriately and effectively.
- The ability to persuade and manage through difficult situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication and listening skills
- Respectful to everyone regardless of a person’s position
- Ability to multitask and manage several projects at one time
- Does not take things personally when priorities change
- Likes to engage in constructive challenge
- Operates with an appropriate level of ego
- Fearlessly attacks new and uncertain territory with a demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous environments
- Process and results driven
- Creative and strategic thinker who loves to lead and contribute to a team!
- Passion for leadership and seeks to develop and mentor the leaders of the future
- Green light thinker who brings a positive “can do” attitude to the team
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with leadership, the team, and the employees.
- A Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field of study is required.
- An Advanced Degree, such as an MBA is preferred.
This role will require travel.
|RELOCATION:||Relocation assistance will be provided for the right candidate.|
| || |
|COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:||A competitive base salary is being offered in addition to short-term and long-term incentive plans including cash and equity. The company offers a wide variety of benefit programs and services that address the needs of employees and their families. Benefits include, but are not limited to tuition assistance, medical & dental, vision, prescription, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), pension plan, paid holidays and vacation.|
Spirit AeroSystems is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.