Vice President of Advanced Manufacturing Strategy
|REPORTING TO:||EVP of Global Manufacturing|
|THE COMPANY:||Spirit AeroSystems, with headquarters in Wichita, Kansas, USA, is one of the world’s largest non-OEM designers and manufacturers of aerostructures for commercial and defense aircraft. In addition to its Wichita facilities, Spirit has locations in Tulsa and McAlester, Oklahoma; Kinston, North Carolina; Biddeford, Maine; Dallas, Texas; Prestwick, Scotland; Belfast, Northern Ireland; Subang, Malaysia; Casablanca, Morocco; and Saint-Nazaire, France. The company’s core products include fuselages, pylons, nacelles and wing components. Additionally, Spirit provides maintenance, repair and overhaul services.|
As one of the world’s largest tier-one manufacturers and suppliers of aerostructures, Spirit AeroSystems applies research and emerging technologies in designing, fabricating, assembling and integrating components and structures for premier commercial and defense aerospace programs. Spirit AeroSystems is a $4 billion global company, with more than 12,000 employees worldwide.
|LOCATION:||Wichita, Kansas. Located in the heart of the Midwest along the banks of the Arkansas River, Wichita has grown from an 1860s trading post into a bustling metropolitan area. While its cowboy roots are still celebrated, Wichita has since embraced higher education, world-class health care and technological innovation. Many companies, including Spirit AeroSystems, have led the city to be called "Air Capital of the World."|
Wichita is a charming blend of the best of rural and metropolitan living. It boasts a wide array of diverse activities and a population equally broad in background and lifestyle. It has been ranked multiple times as a “best value destination” due to its stable and affordable housing. That combined with a strong school system make it a great location for families. Healthcare, education, and sunshine are key attractions, and it has a charming Old Town District with excellent dining options. The Commerce Street Art District is ideal for those who seek some culture.
|SCOPE & RESPONSIBILITIES:||The Vice President of Advanced Manufacturing Strategy for Spirit AeroSystems will provide global leadership and strategy across all regions and businesses with respect to making Spirit a world class manufacturing organization. In this role you will provide input and insight to the EVP of Global Manufacturing determining the overall operations strategy for the organization. You will also coordinate with key operations leaders and adjacent function such as Supply Chain and Finance across the globe to implement and execute on the key operational goals and deliverables in support of the corporate strategy. This will entail defining and designing the vision for the team, building out the team, and creating the physical-digital loop and the technologies used to establish a digital record, analyze and visualize the how information is shared, and generate movement on the physical factory floor. In essence, the role will create the vision, strategies and tactics for Spirit operations to be the factories of the future.|
- Develop the vision, strategy and supporting tactics for Spirit to deploy Industry 4.0.
- Drive the physical act of designing, manufacturing, distribution, and performance in an ongoing cycle known as the physical-to-digital-to-physical (PDP) loop, interconnecting not only lines withing the company but with suppliers.
- Define and connect key technologies into practical use, including:
- Additive manufacturing
- Advanced analytics
- Advanced robotics and cognitive information
- Digital Reality
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Build and manage a team of architects, IEs and internal consultants to drive change on the shop floor.
- Communicate with the Executive Leadership team on proposals, program progress, and key metrics such as ROI, labor related savings, scrap reduction, rework mitigation, and quality improvements.
- Help Manufacturing drive improve throughput and quality metrics.
- Ensure factories have the right parts and the right tools at the right time.
- Develop and deploy manufacturing work models focusing on global and scalable lean initiatives and standardized process control that support the overall strategy for manufacturing excellence across the enterprise.
- Provide expert knowledge in lean concepts and quality systems to the operations.
- Establish and implement robust set of standard operational procedures and processes powered by lean principles emphasizing continuous improvement in all areas to promote efficiency and effectiveness of the enterprise.
- Continuously improve knowledge through benchmarking and active participation in industry groups to promote operational excellence within Spirit.
- Drive the manufacturing operations to World Class Model Plant recognition levels that would be recognized by the external to Spirit community.
- Deploy resource teams to the point of impact in the plants for key initiatives and projects.
- Develop and deploy improvement actions related to key business operations metrics and overall manufacturing effectiveness.
- Collaborate to stablish a consistent measurement and reporting system to monitor performance of plants operationally on a regular basis to highlight success stories and areas in need of attention for process improvement initiatives.
- Seek out, select, and implement appropriate tools and processes to build capability.
- Create strategic relationships with all internal leaders and associates to design and execute manufacturing strategies and process improvements focused on improving manufacturing processes and yields as well as reducing manufacturing costs through innovative methodologies and established manufacturing principles such as, 5S/6S, Lean, Single Piece Flow, Plan for Every Part, and Visual Factory.
- Provide excellent project/program management relative to
- Champion data-driven, continuous improvement efforts, in a solutions-oriented environment.
- Sponsors and coaches engineering teams who deliver comprehensive and effective manufacturing system designs related to new product introduction activities, including early concurrent engineering.
- Administers coaching on the MSD process as needed to align the organization.
- Develops strong team & leads robust talent process for attracting, developing, and fostering manufacturing system design and I4.0 SME talent within the company.
- Champions global Industry 4.0 (I4.0) SMEs through a matrix reporting relationship.
- Inspires and rallies team to globally align around an effective disruptive technology strategy.
- Previous deployment of Advanced Manufacturing, preferably in aerospace or automotive industries.
- Principles/Industry 4.0 in a large-scale global environment.
- Previously successful in a multi-site, highly matrixed environment.
- Inherent understanding of manufacturing and industrial engineering principles.
- Successful in deploying automation in a complex manufacturing environment.
- Deep understanding of the PDP loop and how to deploy it in an effective manner with tangible ROI.
- Perform well under pressure and respond constructively to difficult situations in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to sell in new and complex concepts in a simplified manner to enhance collaboration and buy-in.
- Excellent project management and change management acumen required.
- Must be able to work independently as a sponsor of multiple projects and to lead multiple key initiatives concurrently.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong-willed in a professional and constructive manner
- High Integrity
- Professional business acumen
- Excellent oral and written communication and listening skills
- Respectful to everyone regardless of a person’s position
- Ability to multitask and manage several projects at one time
- Ability to work in fast-paced culture
- Does not take things personally when priorities change
- Collaborative across a matrixed environment
- Operates with an appropriate level of ego
- Flexible & Adaptable
- Fearlessly attack new and uncertain territory
- Demonstrated ability to work in fluid or ambiguous environments
- Process and results driven
- You love to lead and contribute to a team!
- Creative and Strategic thinker
- Has a passion for leadership and love to develop and mentor the leaders of the future
- You are a green light thinker who brings a positive “can do” attitude for the team
- A Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering. Other engineering disciplines considered based upon relevant work experience.
- An Advanced Degree, such as an MBA is preferred.
This role will require travel (circa 25%)
|RELOCATION:||Relocation assistance will be provided for the right candidate.|
| || |
|COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:||A competitive base salary is being offered in addition to short-term and long-term incentive plans including cash and equity. The company offers a wide variety of benefit programs and services that address the needs of employees and their families. Benefits include, but are not limited to tuition assistance, medical & dental, vision, prescription, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), pension plan, paid holidays and vacation.|
“Spirit AeroSystems is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.”